Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s divorce is now finalized. Kanye will now pay $200,000 per month in child support for their four children. West and Kardashian had a prenuptial agreement and kept most of their property separate. Luckily for Kim Kardashian, this means she is not responsible for any debt accumulated by Kanye, who now claims he owes the IRS $50 million in taxes. Neither person will be required to pay spousal support, and the parents will split expenses for the children’s private security and private school.
This seems like a less expensive divorce compared to other messy celebrity divorces. Celebrities who made it on People’s list for the most costly and explosive divorces of all time include Dr. Dre and ex-wife Nicole Young, Jeff and Mackenzie Bezos, and Michael Jordan and ex-wife Juanita Vanoy.
Getting a divorce can be very unpleasant, but experts say you have to gain control to ensure your spouse doesn’t walk away with all of your money. Business Insider lists six steps you need to take now if you’re preparing to battle it out with your ex-spouse.
- Step 1: Identify all of your assets and clarify what’s yours.
- Step 2: Get copies of all of your financial statements.
- Step 3: Secure liquid assets
- Step 4: Do your research. Know your state’s laws when it comes to divorce,
- Step 5: Build your legal team; If you don’t already have one, you will need a financial adviser and an attorney.
- Step 6: Decide what you want and need.