On Jan 6, 2021, a mob burst into the U.S. capitol. On this day, Congress was meeting to confirm President Biden’s victory in the November election against Donald Trump. The riot was protesting or overthrowing the confirmation after claims from Trump that he had been denied reelection due to voter fraud. In this shocking moment in history, five people were killed. Two years after the angry mob stormed into the Capitol, which many lawmakers described as terrifying, several arrests and guilty convictions have occurred. Monday, one of the more recognizable protestors from that day was found guilty on eight counts.

What Happened?

Richard “Bigo” Barnett entered the Capitol with a walking stick with an attached high-voltage stun gun. He was then photographed lounging at the desk of then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. While in Pelosi’s office suite, Barnett wrote a message for Pelosi using one of Pelosi’s signature envelopes. Barnett’s photo inside the office quickly spread across the internet, growing to be one of the critical pieces of evidence in confirming Barnett’s presence during the riot. During the nine day trial, Barnett claimed he was pushed into the Capitol by the rioters and then started looking for a restroom. However, according to CNN, a video showed Barnett walking into Pelosi’s office. Barnett was found guilty on all eight counts against him, including four felonies. For the charge of obstructing an official government proceeding, Barnett could serve a maximum of 20 years in prison. Barnett was not sent immediately to jail. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for May 3. Until the sentencing trial, Barnett will be allowed to stay at his home in Ozark, Arkansas, while wearing an ankle monitor. After court Barnett’s lawyers say, their client did not receive a fair trial. 


Add comment

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.