NOTE: This post has been updated since publication to reflect Mr. Johnson’s endorsement of Former President Donald Trump.
Businessman Perry Johnson suspended his longshot presidential bid on Friday after failing to qualify for the first two Republican primary debates. In a campaign statement, the independently wealthy Michigan entrepreneur criticized the requirements of the “corrupt” Republican National Committee that have kept him from sharing his vision.
Johnson’s announcement—which declared that he is merely “suspending” his campaign rather than fully withdrawing—accused the RNC of using “authoritarian power” to impose polling and donor requirements for debate participation. Candidates were required to have at least 1 percent in three national polls and 40,000 individual donors in order to appear on stage at the first debate in Wisconsin in August. Those requirements were increased to 3 percent and 50,000 donors for the second debate in California in September.
“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the people should decide the next president of the United States, not the head of the RNC and her cronies,” said Johnson’s statement posted to X. “With no opportunity to share my vision on the debate stage, I have decided at this time, suspending my campaign is the right thing to do.”
The statement continued by announcing that Johnson will keep a small team on staff “in the event the dynamics of the race change.”
Perry Johnson released a statement on Friday: pic.twitter.com/OU5PIzLLVu
— Perry Johnson (@PJQualityGuru) October 20, 2023
The Oakland County businessman had previously filed a complaint with the Federal Election Committee accusing the RNC of keeping him off the stage because of his status as a “political outsider” rather than his poor polling numbers. Campaign finance data reveals that Johnson provided $12.5 million of the $14.5 million raised by his campaign.
With his campaign suspended, Perry Johnson is now the third Republican candidate to drop out of the race. Miami Mayor Francis Suarez ended his longshot bid in late August, followed by former Texas Congressman Will Hurd earlier this month.
On Monday, Johnson issued a follow-up statement putting his full support behind former President and current frontrunner Donald Trump. “After suspending my campaign for President on Friday, there is now only one candidate in this race who can provide a solution to our nation’s economic, foreign policy, and social crises, and most importantly, beat Joe Biden at the ballot box. That person is Donald Trump,” Johnson wrote on X.
Having suspended my campaign, I am officially endorsing @realDonaldTrump for President of the United States. We must beat @joebiden to save this country and Donald Trump is the only candidate who can do it. My full statement is below. #maga pic.twitter.com/eV7kRDAmeo
— Perry Johnson (@PJQualityGuru) October 23, 2023
The third Republican primary debate will be held in Miami, Florida on November 8. The Republican National Committee requires participating candidates to have 4 percent polling support and 70,000 individual donors. Former President Donald Trump announced last week that he will not attend the debate.
Add comment